a journal of...

A journal among friends...
art, words, home, people and places

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

In case you're wondering...

The Memorial Day party at Cathy and Steve's was perfect, of course.

If I were giving a prize for the most delicious taste (difficult among the great foods the great neighborhood cooks assembled), my first would go to this dessert, which Yvonne Ng brought.  She kindly sent me her recipe, which I had practically demanded, and thought I'd share the treasure with you.  (I'm sorry...I don't have a picture, because I and others, apparently, ate it up too fast.)


Flourless Nut Roll

The cake is so simple, if you have an automatic beater.  

Nine (9) eggs total (you can vary the number of whites and yolks)
No more than one cup of sugar (I used half at most)
One (1) cup of nut flour (I do not like the store bought nut meat, so I grind my own, making sure it's not ground into powder, so you can still taste the nut)

On high beat the egg and sugar for 20 mins, until a huge rise.  Stir in nutmeats, slowly...you can mix it by hand if you want to.  Try not to disturb the volume much.

Line a 12 x 18 pan, or smaller, depending on your volume, with parchment paper that has been greased.

[Pour in mixture gently.]

Bake at 350 F oven for 10 minutes to start, and keep testing with a knife tip.

When done, flip it over onto a towel/cloth lined with powdered sugar.  While still very warm, roll the towel/cloth to make a roll cake.  The trick is rolling the cake.  Please read "roll cake" online.  Mine is very random.  I find that using towel or fabric to roll is the easiest.

When cooled, unroll to put in a filling of whipped cream and jam or preserves or fresh fruit, like peaches.  I used peach preserve and peach.

For easy slicing, freeze the cake first.

You can also just do a sheet cake by cutting in half and sandwiching the filling in between.

Yvonne served it by cutting into slices and putting each slice in a fluted cupcake paper, easier to pick up and eat.

⧫⧫⧫⧫⧫⧫⧫⧫

Now that I'm thinking about those other desserts, I'd also have to give a prize to the Berry Tart that Artie Dixon made.  I don't have the recipe, but I know the secret ingredient:  she went to a farm and handpicked the strawberries, at least two quarts, it looked like.

Or maybe I shouldn't bother with prizes...there were way too many other dishes I prized, too.  I should just get the recipes for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment