a journal of...

A journal among friends...
art, words, home, people and places

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

November weather ii...a sharing of pleasures


 If you have a chance, re-read the last post, November weather, for some last lone dandelion additions/editions.  We seem to be collecting them from geographic points far apart, and I am developing a hypothesis about that...


***************************

Meanwhile, Susan's daughter Barbara, who belongs to a group of Austin women miraculously called The Goodness Group, sent her mother this poem by Wendell Berry.  

So Susan sent it to me, writing, I thought of you because your post from yesterday had a photo of bricks with the pattern of leaves still visible.  "Day-blind stars" seems to be in that category.  Sometimes photos or phrases are just so perfect and a keen pleasure.

Yes. And it is good to have friends who also notice and share such signs.


 The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me

and I wake in the night at the least sound

in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,

....

I come into the peace of wild things 

who do not tax their lives with forethought

of grief.  I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day-blind stars

waiting with their light.  For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

                                        Wendell Berry, from The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry



2 comments: