a journal of...

A journal among friends...
art, words, home, people and places

Thursday, August 4, 2022

My brain needs a rest


This morning I am slow, but not as slow as operations around me...this laptop, for instance,  which remains ten words behind my typing, and has skipped the o and the y along the way.  The day, too, began as cloudy as half-night, then sunny, now just whatever by the minute.  Also the shower, dragging itself up from the water heater below, then suddenly steaming hotter than the setting.  (Fortunately, I like a lot of hot water. )  


The shower felt good, but didn't spark me from sluggedness. On the list, headed "Thursday",  there are many doings to tackle.  One of them is this blog, and walking while it's not yet too hot, and re-watering the yard because my drip system isn't getting to every thirsty plant.  Apparently I am supposed to do all that at once, since each is marked 8am

There's the ironing, too.  Because yesterday was the first day home from a cooling visit to Jim and Eileen in the mountains.  There is nothing better than walks through pretty parks, startlingly beautiful gallery art, delicious lunches with friends, and lots of thrift-storing, chair-shopping, games, and trying new recipes (see below) to bring one back to life.









Even the puzzle that teased us, until finally it fell into place under our fingers, provided  chilly respite.


So yesterday, back in the heat, was far more productive; I came home full of energy, zipping through everything including the wash, some weeding, my sister's new resume, a few cards for friends, some homemade soup for Joseph who has been under the weather,



and a new air conditioning system for upstairs to keep my sister cool.  I even went out to a welcome chill of wine at my neighbors' at aper' time.  Good wine too, from France, nice and dry.


I fell asleep last night finishing Rooms of Their Own, by a youngish man whose survey of writers' places could have used a bit of copyediting, but whose choice of illustrator was brilliant.  The book, a lovely gift from Alice May, just returned with John from an idyllic journey among gardens in England and Scotland, reminded me how many times I have changed my mind about a room of my own to write in.  This past spring and summer my mind has been full of plans...to do this and that, here and there, this way and that.  A garden in back.  An apartment and a garden.  

Okay, not an apartment...how about a new workroom/studio so I can reinstate my guest room? 

I can't seem to settle on the right configuration of space my house needs.  Consider that there is always a change in inhabitants, uses, seasons of living, and aging...none of which I mind, mind you...it seems to be the way I've always lived, and always will.

But this morning I thought, my brain is tired.  It needs to take a day off.  (It won't, of course, because there is still "Thursday" to deal with...to wit, this blog...)  I think what is behind all this spirit-drain is the state of the world, which is assaulting me with insults every day, it seems.  

Listening to news, to political and civic conversations, I think, Where is there room for me in this world?  Do you not know, you people making policies that harm more than help, that I and the rest of humanity is here?  You act like we don't exist...I who would love a little peace on this planet, some consideration for its people, food to eat and decent housing, water systems shared across the globe, children protected from the manaical. Decent health care, for pity's sake.

And for me, to be seen as a real person, an individual, a woman who doesn't need others ordering her life, thank you...accommodations being my own to make and my own principles to follow.  


Oh, here we go: this minute some life-hacker is flashing a note on my otherwise supposedly protected computer system: STOP NOW!  DON'T DARE CLOSE DOWN!  YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF .... (some technical term I think he/she made up).  CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!

Man! I say, wake up and get with it.  And leave open a world where we can be our better selves. Then, with some peace of mind and world, I can build my own room.  I'm sure to feel livelier then.

******************************************

Zucchini Casserole
(adapted from Kevin in the Garden)

·        6-8 small zucchini (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)

·        One small eggplant

·        5 large eggs

·        1/2 cup milk

·        1 teaspoon salt

·        2 teaspoons baking powder

·        3 tablespoons flour

·        1/4 cup chopped parsley

·        1 garlic clove, minced

·        1 small onion, finely chopped (I prefer to saute the onion first)

·        Parmesan-Romano mix shredded or grated (topping)

 

1.               Center the oven rack, and preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the zucchini into lengths.  Slice eggplant into lengths.  Drain for a few minutes.

2.               In the large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and flour until smooth. Then stir in the parsley, garlic, onion.  Layer between zucchini and eggplant. Pour into the greased baking dish.

3.               Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole. Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole puffs and its center is set -- about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.










3 comments:

  1. WOW! You've been extremely busy, both mind and body! Such plans - no wonder you need a rest. And given us so much to think about and connect with, especially with the current state of affairs. It's almost like you've read my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good blog today :) Though I'm late in reading it, I, like you, seem to keep busy, but I'm not sure just what I'm busy doing - though, I've been blessed in this time of my life to wander from project (used in the loosest term!) to project and enjoying it all - I might add, one of the most fun - spending a weekend perusing those thrift stores and doing those puzzles and games :) Now ...where is that list of places we decided we have to check out next time???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dissertation Writing Help


    Most enticing blogs I’ve ever read and this is what it should. Must be shared as well. I was really bored but your blog lightened up my day

    Salzburg Student Housing

    ReplyDelete